Saturday, October 4, 2014

For the Silent Ones...

Rape.

It’s a weird word to say. It sounds dirty coming out of people’s mouth, at least to my ears. I prefer sexual assault or sometimes I even refer to it as “the incident”.  It doesn’t get any easier to say. It doesn’t get any easier to deal with, at least not yet.

There are so many different reactions you can get from someone when you tell them you’ve been sexually assaulted or raped. Some people are speechless, which I prefer. This happened to me. Let me talk. But other people have their opinions they need to share with you. They want to hear the entire story. Which if they thought about it, how sadistic is that? They are asking a trauma victim to relive the traumatic event they went through. They wouldn’t ask a person to recount their significant other dying. That might seem a little harsh, but for some victims of rape, it’s close to death. A piece of them dies. But there are also those people who don’t even ask about the story but they want to know what the victim did after the fact. Did you report it? Did you tell someone? Did you let everyone in the whole universe know that you were violated, emotionally and physically? Well why not? And if the victim did tell someone, was it to late? To soon? Did the cops believe you? Who’d you tell?

            I think sometimes what friends and family don’t understand is that when we tell them about our “incident” we don’t want feedback. We just want to get it out there in the universe. We want to acknowledge something very serious happened to us. We don’t want to relive it. We don’t want their judgment or advice. We understand they are not therapist or trauma counselors.  We just want to tell someone. We want someone to sit with us and pat us on the back and tell us that we will get through this because sometimes we don’t think we will. Sometimes all we see is what happened to us. It’s not in the past but directly in front of us blocking happiness and laughter and sunshine. We want someone to help us realize there can and will be sunshine again.

            That’s depressing isn’t it? Rape isn’t always pretty. It’s actually never pretty. I think sometimes people have misconceptions about how rape or sexual assault is an event that can be put behind a person after an allotment of time. And it can be.  But it pops up. It rears it’s ugly head at the worst and the best times. At night, when I’m alone and I’m tired is the most common time. I start thinking about why I’m alone, and if I’m always going to be alone. That leads to thinking about the last time I was with someone, and what he did. That leads to thinking about the trust issues I have, and so the cycle begins. It usually ends with crying, maybe a very depressing movie, maybe a very happy one to try to lift my mood. In the morning I wake up, wash my face, and pretend it never happened.

            This isn’t a healthy cycle. I am not promoting lack of therapy to ANY victim. But I don’t like therapy. More bad experiences when I was a child and honestly I just don’t have the energy to shop for a good therapist. And I understand that not everyone does. And it’s those people, those victims, who know that I am not perfect and I sometimes have no idea what I’m talking about and that I just put my fingers to my keys or my face to the camera and tell them what I’m feeling in hopes that they will not ever, EVER feel alone in this.

Because if you’re reading this, and you’ve even felt anything familiarity with this, you are not alone love. There is someone who understands you, who will sit with you and pat you on the back and tell you that the happiness, laughter, and sunshine will return. Maybe in an hour, maybe in a day, maybe in a few weeks, but it will return, and until then, you have me. <3


I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment